Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My iTune Prayer

In 1972, I was in junior high school. That year, Bill Withers recorded a hit song, “Use Me”. I don’t remember much about ninth grade, but I know every word of the lyrics to “Use Me”. Decades of listening to Oldies Radio will do that for you.

Bill Withers’ lyrics came to mind today when a friend informed me that God was using me to help her. The chorus of “Use Me” goes,

“I want to spread the news,
If it feels this good getting used,
You just keep on using me
Until you use me up.”

I would like to say this is my prayer for being used by God. Lord, just keep on using me until You use me up. In my heart of hearts, such a prayer terrifies me. Truthfully, I have spent many a moment resenting being used up. You may know that place where commitments and good intentions outpace human time and energy.

But when I am spiritually fit, this idea fills me with joy and expectation. What could be better than being used by the Creator of the universe until there is nothing left of us? The relief on my friend’s face when I suggested an answer to a difficult problem reminded me of Bill Withers’ lyrics, “If it feels this good getting used . . . .”

What about you? Where would God use you today? If you are like me, you may want to start by praying to rely on Him rather than self to get the job done. Then we can willingly, even joyfully, ask, “Keep on using me until You use me up.”

May you feel His grace today,
Gail W.

The last Word:
For it is by grace you have been saved. . . for we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Ephesians 4: 8, 10 NIV.

1 comment:

Aunt Angie said...

This was good! Yes, my prayer is use me--and use me up---as Erma Bombeck said...may I arrive in heaven with not one single talent left---having used them all up for Him. (something like that anyway).
Blessings to you!