Monday, September 8, 2008

Fear of Failing, Part II

Recent weeks have seen a fizzle in my writing momentum. Satan has been running tapes in my head that are not true (see post 09/05/08 for details). When truth eludes me, my best bet is to go to God’s Word. When fear is the problem, I turn to the first chapter of Joshua.

As the Book of Joshua opens, Moses has just died. God has appointed Joshua to take Moses' place and lead Israel. Joshua’s first assignment leaves no time to reflect on the new limelight. God commands him to move the nation into the Promised Land within a matter of days. No pressure here! So what does God tell Joshua (read, Gail/insert your name here)?

“I will give you every place where you set your foot.” (v. 3)

“No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (v. 5)

“Be strong and courageous.” (v. 6)

“Be strong and very courageous.” (v.7)

“Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” (v. 9)

God did not repeat Himself because Joshua was hard of hearing. He said it over and over again because Joshua needed to hear it over and over again. Hmmm . . . sounds like someone else I know.

God’s question to Joshua was, “Have I not commanded you?” I need that reminder. “HELLO?!! Who commanded you to write? Was it Satan? Was it some mere mortal? NO! It was the Creator of the universe, the Great Jehovah, the God of Israel, the One who swallowed up death. Now, what was it you were afraid of?”

I forget. At least for now, which is all I need to get started again.

Come back later this week as we look at more strategies for moving ahead when the fear beast is calling.

May you feel His grace today,
Gail W.

The last Word:
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the (wo)man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3: 15, 16 (NIV).

1 comment:

weatheba said...

This helps me, too. These scriptures came at a good time!