Friday, January 2, 2009

A Challenge for 2009


Take heart. A simple concept. I learned long ago that simple does not always mean easy. When I ordered these plates, I was talking to myself as much as to anyone. I need to be reminded every day that Christ tells us to take heart.

It takes no effort on our part to lose heart. Each day’s headlines are a little more shocking than the day before. Depression is known as the modern day common cold. Christ warned us, “In this world you will have trouble.” That’s right! I have trouble. Everybody I know has trouble.

It takes discipline to focus on what else Christ said in this passage, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” He HAS overcome the world. He told us of trials to come so we would know He is with us, so we would know how the story ends, so we could lift up our heads and walk on with hope and joy.

As the blogosphere lights up with new goals and studies for the New Year, I long to carry Christ’s message of hope into 2009. I pray the Holy Spirit will strengthen us to view living not as a crushing burden, but as a chance to honor the One who placed us here. In 2009, may we live with a lightness of heart that draws others to the Source of our hope.

May you feel His grace today,
Gail W.

The last Word:
Even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened. But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience.
1 Peter 3: 14-16, NIV.

5 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I also love Christ's words to his disciples while on that stormy sea...

"Take courage."

A little heart and courage go a long way to ease our trouble when we "take" them from the wealth of his hands.

Taking them both as we move into the promises of this New Year we've been given.

Happy Saturday to you and yours.

peace~elaine

Lori said...

Gail this was beautiful and you are right it is so easy to lost heart, but as Christians we know who wins in the end. So we need to TAKE HEART. Thanks for the wonderful reminder.

Thank you also for stopping by my blog and participating.

Happy New Year.

About Nancy said...

Great words of encouragement to start the new year. Thanks!

Aunt Angie said...

There is a lot that goes on in each and every life...but one thing is for sure... "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord"..as the verse you chose instructs---setting Christ apart as the LORD of all in our lives---is where our HOPE is in this life!

I love and appreciate you so much!!! Have a blessed day!!

Amrita said...

Great message to send out Gail.

The newspaper and TV bombard us with bad news.How God 's heart must be broken over the state of the world He created.

I feel sad about what is happening between Israel and Gaza. Hope they find some way to establish peace.