Sunday, January 11, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

On Friday, Clint Eastwood's newest movie Gran Torino opened with a bang. My twenty-year-old daughter could not understand my anticipation of this event. She was baffled by my downright giddiness at the mention of the man's name. What my daughter did not understand was that when I see Clint's new movie, I'm not seeing a seventy-eight-year-old actor. I am seeing Rowdy Yates of "Rawhide" fame. I am thirteen years old again and struggling with my thought life. It wasn't until I found this photo of Clint in his heyday that my daughter got it. "Wow," she said, "He looks like Hugh Jackman!" My point exactly.

It made me think of one of my favorite fantasies of heaven. I love to play with the thought that when we meet loved ones in heaven, we will see them as they looked in our most precious memory. When I see my Nanny, she will be wearing a pale green shirtwaist dress, cat-eye glasses and a smile. But when my grandfather sees her, she will appear to him as she did on their wedding day. I don't know the state of Clint Eastwood's eternal soul, but if he makes it to heaven, I'll be seeing a sweaty young cowboy fresh off the trail.

I realize this theory has a few theological holes. But you know, I don't think God minds one little bit when we dream of the life to come. He knows we're dust and that our notions may be closer to a two-year old's scribblings than to what we will actually find there. But like any two-year-old, I delight in getting out my crayons and letting my imagination soar.

So tonight, I will dream of loved ones long gone. I will see them as I most fondly remember them. I invite you to do the same, to walk back through the albums in your mind and anticipate that glorious day when we will all be together again.

May you feel His grace today,
Gail W.

The last Word:
We speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began . . . as it is written, "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him."
1 Corinthians 2: 7, 9, NIV.

7 comments:

Denise said...

Amen, beautifully said my dear friend. I cannot wait to see my momma, and my brother. I love you.

Sita said...

Again, Gail, thank you for dropping some heavenly dew on my blog. I smiled when I read your post because I just posted "I Can Only Imagine"....yes, what a glorious day it will be reunited not only with loved ones gone before but with God Himself, the way it was meant to be...
Love, Sita

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I love to think of heaven like this...such a sweet thought, and exciting. It will probably be more exciting than looking at that fantastic photo of Clint Eastwood, but in this earthly body...LOL! He is a good lookin' man!

The Dementia Nurse said...

Yeah, Baby!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Simply delightful. Wonderfully penned and full of imagination. Can you even imagine Eve in her beauty and Adam in his? My children's Bible story book doesn't quite capture them; still and yet, I'm pretty sure that Eve will have her long hair and her curvy frame.

peace~elaine

Crown of Beauty said...

Hi Gail,
Something in your comment on Amrita's blog made me want to visit. I'm glad I did. There's always a delight in my heart whenever I come across a blog and recognize a kindred spirit. What a pleasant surprise! Expect me to drop by often.

I've always looked forward to heaven ever since God became more than just a word to me, and especially now that my beloved husband of 30 years is there. He died unexpectedly only about 6 weeks ago. One of the things that have helped me live through the pain is knowing that heaven is real and that my loved one is now in the presence of my heavenly Father.

Paula said...

A wonderful post, as I often think of my grandparents (all four) and my last image of them here on earth and how they will be in heaven. As for Clint...you gotta love the man. I, even as a 38 year old, do not see an old man but the young Clint. My car is actually named Clint as it's big white bonnet (hood) reminded me of Clint Eastwood's big white bow tie that he wore at the Oscars 2 years ago, hehe. Much love, Paula :-)