Sunday, May 3, 2009

Bubbles for Sydney

Sydney believed in God and the precious name of His Son. She loved her dog as well as all other animals. She rarely argued with her younger brother. She always took her friends' side in teenage breakups. She mugged for the camera in the lingerie department of Target.

She was an honors student and a formidable athlete. She went to her junior prom. Two weeks later, a speeding tractor trailer with a distracted driver sent Sydney into the waiting arms of Christ. One year ago this week, I answered my phone and heard my youngest daughter sob, "Mom, one of my friends got killed on the way to school today."

This afternoon, we stood in the cold rain to see a garden overlooking her childhood soccer field being dedicated to Sydney's memory. As the rain subsided and the ceremony closed, the crowd blew bubbles into the air from tiny bottles provided by the family.

Tonight, I have more questions than answers. How do you put one foot in front of the other? How do you continue to breathe? How do you ensure the shock of a child's death does not eclipse the joy that was her life?

Tonight, I covet your prayers for everyone touched by Sydney's journey through this world. I thank my God that you are there to ask.

May you feel His grace today,
Gail W.
Photo credit

The last Word:
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. . . And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and He will live with them. They will be His people, and God Himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
Revelation 21: 1-4, NIV.

8 comments:

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing this sweetie. I pray for everyone touched by precious Sydneys life. I love you my friend.

Sita said...

Gail,
I've recently Kayleigh Freeman's video and I've followed Sumi's blog on the death of her precious angel by drowning...a boy from our Christian high school was killed in a traffic accident, his father a pastor...beautiful children...all...so full of promise...makes no earthly sense..so logically my mind goes it must make some heavenly sense I can't quite grasp..yet because I know He knows, I'll leave it there and just ask for grace for those of us left behind with holes in our heart, memories of a life that brings joy unspeakable, longing for the what-ifs...
Father, let Your grace wash over those whose hearts hurt this day for a loss that they cannot comprehend. Hover over each one of Sydney's loved ones, friends, family and anyone she touched. Let this be the moment where they come close enough to You to hear Your whispers of comfort. In the Name of Jesus, I pray, Amen.

Crown of Beauty said...

Dear Gail,
Thank you for posting this touching story. Yes, my heart asks, "Why Lord?" together with you and the others... and we know we will have the answer in eternity.

KelliGirl said...

Gail,
Your story left me covered in goosebumps...and they're still there.

"How do you put one foot in front of the other...?" I think the only way you move on and keep from being swallowed by grief, is to do just what you said, put one foot in front of the other. Take one step at a time, one day at a time.

Loss like this is one of the hardest things for us to understand in this life.

I'm praying for you and Sydney's family.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

When I was in high school, we lost 4 students (friends) to a horrific traffic accident. Death rudely interrupted our lives in a way we never imagined. It would take a long season and a lot of tears to put "parameters" around my feelings about the entire event. Even now, when death strikes, it profoundly shifts the direction of my heart. I've buried way too many friends over the past year and am currently faced with the urgent needs of others looking in the facing of death as I type.

Praying for your daughter and the family of Sydney this morning.

peace~elaine

Crown of Beauty said...

Gail,
You've been tagged! Visit my May 7 post. Thanks!

Stacy said...

Thank you for sharing these precious memories. Will be praying for all who are touched by Sydney's journey. I am, currently, in the process of wondering if and when the tears will end along with placing one foot in front of the other and simply remembering to breathe in and out. God is good all of the time but life sure isn't.

Aunt Angie said...

Gail...I know the questions will keep coming...because still I question...not so much His decision...but in the fact of "did I do I was supposed to in her lifetime?"

I am LOOKING with great expectation toward that new heaven and new earth! Even so LORD---come quickly!