Friday, May 1, 2009

Dollar Store Delights


When my daughters were little, the Dollar Store was my best friend. There I could dazzle the tots I loved without breaking the bank. I think of those days wistfully, especially when paying a teenager's car insurance or a semester of college tuition.

Tomorrow, my youngest daughter takes her SAT's. I wanted to do something to encourage her. So tonight, I once again enjoyed the thrill of a Dollar Store bonanza. If you promise not to tell, I will share my recipe for a discount boost of an anxious teen's heart.

Assemble the following Dollar Store items and label them as indicated:
  • Bratz Doll Lip Gloss - SAT Tip #1: Look Good to Do Good.

  • SpongeBob SquarePants wrist watch - SAT Tip #2: Be on Time.


  • Mickey Mouse Car Keys - SAT Tip #3: Drive Carefully to the Test Site.


  • Squirt gun - SAT Tip #4: Take Care Against Cheaters.


  • Deck of playing cards - SAT Tip #5: Take a Break During the Test.


  • Snack bar - SAT Tip #6: Keep Up Your Blood Sugar.


  • Blowing bubbles with wand - SAT Tip #7: Enjoy Yourself When the Test is Finished.

Place the labeled items into a tissued gift bag. Watch said teen smile and protest the silly gift while you know she's loving it. Praise God for His great mercy and care.

May you feel His grace today,
Gail W.

Photo Credit

The last Word:
Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him!
Matthew 7: 9-11, NIV.

9 comments:

Denise said...

That was so sweet of you, bless you. Praying for your daughter to do well on her SAT.

Liz said...

I absolutely love it! What a wonderful idea and a wonderful mommy you are!
I hope she does remarkable well on her SAT.
Blessings!

Laura said...

this is awesome, Gail! If only i had a girl who would appreciate it. sounds like you are getting close toe the empty nest! praying for you in this amazing season!

Crown of Beauty said...

wow, did you really do that? You're such a cute, sweet, mom. Bless your heart. Thanks for sharing.

Andrea said...

Yes, praise God for His mercy! And praise God for precious, loving, thoughtful mothers as yourself!

Your daughter will never forget that sweet moment!

Blessings,

Andrea

Amrita said...

way to go Gail

Tina said...

Gail,
How cool a mom are you, what a good idea, wish I would have thought of it :)

I took my #2 son to take the SAT this morning. Time really flies when the kids get into high school doesn't it?

I remember when he would hold my hand while we walked to school to pick up his brother and sister from school. It makes me feel melancholy.....

In Him,
Tina

Heather - On the Road... said...

Wow, Gail~
That is great! I am going to have to remember that for my kids, as they grow up and "grow out" of the fun of the dollar store! :)

God bless!
Heather

Stacy said...

What a precious idea and what an amazing mom! Been thinking of you a lot lately and praying that all is well.