When my daughters were little, the Dollar Store was my best friend. There I could dazzle the tots I loved without breaking the bank. I think of those days wistfully, especially when paying a teenager's car insurance or a semester of college tuition.
Tomorrow, my youngest daughter takes her SAT's. I wanted to do something to encourage her. So tonight, I once again enjoyed the thrill of a Dollar Store bonanza. If you promise not to tell, I will share my recipe for a discount boost of an anxious teen's heart.
Assemble the following Dollar Store items and label them as indicated:
- Bratz Doll Lip Gloss - SAT Tip #1: Look Good to Do Good.
- SpongeBob SquarePants wrist watch - SAT Tip #2: Be on Time.
- Mickey Mouse Car Keys - SAT Tip #3: Drive Carefully to the Test Site.
- Squirt gun - SAT Tip #4: Take Care Against Cheaters.
- Deck of playing cards - SAT Tip #5: Take a Break During the Test.
- Snack bar - SAT Tip #6: Keep Up Your Blood Sugar.
- Blowing bubbles with wand - SAT Tip #7: Enjoy Yourself When the Test is Finished.
Place the labeled items into a tissued gift bag. Watch said teen smile and protest the silly gift while you know she's loving it. Praise God for His great mercy and care.
May you feel His grace today,
The last Word:
Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him!
Matthew 7: 9-11, NIV.