Sunday, July 20, 2008

Finding Fire

Years ago, the movie Chariots of Fire told the true story of Scottish minister Eric Liddell. In the early 1920's, Liddell had a thriving evangelistic ministry. He set aside that ministry to compete in the 1924 Olympics. There is a line from the movie that is seared in my memory. Liddell is trying to explain to his bewildered sister why he would give up his platform to devote everything to running. He explains, “God made me fast. And when I run, I feel His pleasure.”

God made me creative. And when I write, I feel His pleasure. I think of all the women I am blessed to know. I think about how God made each one of them into something unique. I smile to think of the lightning that occurs when a woman finds the arena where she most feels God’s pleasure.

For one woman, it is in nurturing a child. For another, it is solving a baffling computer problem. For one that I know, it is writing limericks that she shares with friends. For still another, it is in the act of hospitality. What about you? Where do you feel God’s pleasure? If your answer is nowhere, you may not be listening closely enough.

Christian author Max Lucado calls this place a person's sweet spot. I encourage you to take a few quiet moments to consider your own sweet spot. If nothing comes to mind, ask a trusted friend. It is often easier for us women to see the gifts in each other than in ourselves. Wherever your sweet spot lies, make time to go there today. The pleasure of the King awaits you!

May you feel His grace today,
Gail W.

The last Word:
It was He who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the knowledge of the Son of God.
Ephesians 4: 11-13, NIV.

1 comment:

weatheba said...

I love that quote!