Friday, July 4, 2008

Letting Go of Old Ideas

For many years, I knew God as a Merlin-like old man with the power to throw thunder bolts and create tidal waves. Each day, He sat on His throne making note of everyone's wrong moves. The Bible said God never slept which was bad for me. I could mess up at any hour, night or day, and He would know. Given my long list of failures, I could never dig my way up to tolerable, let alone becoming His beloved. There was just too much evidence against me. When I accepted Christ and was baptized, I merely thought that now He would help me be a little less terrible.

Today, I know God as Wonderful Counselor and Savior. Every day, I feel His delight in me. I know that when God looks at me, He does not see me in the light of my mistakes. He sees me in the light of His Son who stands in the gap for me in all my weakness. That’s quite a transformation in my thinking. How did I get from point A to point B? That will be the focus of our discussion over the next few posts.

I would love to hear from you. How has your understanding of God changed over time? Whom and what did He use to create that change in you? Please comment. As we share our stories, we can encourage one another wherever we are on the long road to Home.

May you feel His grace today,
Gail W.

According to The Word:
Two are better than one. If one falls down, his friend can help him up. If two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?
Ecclesiastes 4: 9-11, NIV.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Gail -
What a wonderful perspective to share with us...and you have to know the verse from Ecclesiastes touched my heart after all we both have been through!