Sunday, February 8, 2009

This Bud's For You, Angie

Many of you follow our girl Angie over at Knightly News. Recently, she has been sharing events in her life from this time last year. On February 12, 2008, Angie's beloved sister, Wanda, slipped into the waiting arms of Christ after a lengthy illness.

Under Angie's faith-filled pen, a subject that could bring you down becomes an uplifting tale of faith, hope and love. If you haven't checked out this series, I promise you'll be blessed by doing so.

In the account of Wanda's final hours, Angie mentions an ill-mannered nurse. My hair stood on end at this part of the story. For years, I taught nurses about family care in the patient's final days. Angie's experience reminded me of a poem I used in those classes.

In honor of Angie, who latched onto me early in my blogging days and has blessed me ever since, I'd like to share these words penned by Thomas Hood. It's an old poem, but its message is timeless. God bless you, Angie; I am with you in thought and prayer this week and always.

Thro' the Night

We watched her breathing thro' the night,
Her breathing soft and low,
As in her breast, the wave of life
Kept heaving to and fro.

So silently we seem'd to speak -
So slowly mov'd about,
As we had lent her half our powers
To eke her living out.

Our very hopes belied our fears,
Our fears our hopes belied -
We thought her dying when she slept.
And sleeping when she died.

For when the morn came dim and sad -
And chill with early showers,
Her quiet eyelids clos'd - she had
Another morn than ours.
Thomas Hood (1799-1845)

May you feel His grace today,
Gail W.
Photo Credit

The last Word:
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.
Hebrews 12: 1, 2, NIV.

8 comments:

Denise said...

Amen, thank you for this post. Angie is such a precious blessing, the stories she shared with us about Wandas last days truly blessed my heart. It also upset me when she told about that rude nurse. I love you my friend.

Crown of Beauty said...

Gail,
Thank you for this post about Angie. I will go over to her site and read what she has to say. I am just beginning to discover how beautiful, how encouraging, and edifying, blog friendships can be!
God bless you today!
Lidj

Aunt Angie said...

Gail...I am speechless. The poem---I have never read it before==but the words spoke many emotions.
I have just a minute online. I just had to tell you thankyou. FOR your love and friendship. God amazes me with His tender care...YOU are part of that tenderness toward me.

I love you girl. Thank you for the bud.... :)

Sita said...

What a kind and thoughtful gesture...indeed the love of Christ flows through you, Gail..you are an example to me...beautiful poem...
Blessings, Sita

Amrita said...

God bless you Angie.

I love that poem. Remindsme of my aunt Sybil who was in my care and went into the arms of Hesus last June.

Laura said...

So touching, Gail. I can see that you were not only a gem of a teacher for many nurses, but your great love will be handed down through their hands in all the patients they treat.

My thoughts are with your friend, Angie, on the anniversary of her loss.

Laura

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I know that Angie appreciates your kindness toward her tender heart. She's a rich treasure and a beautiful spirit. Thanks for thinking of her...

peace~elaine

Don Kimrey said...

Hope I'm not intruding on a "Ladies Only" thing. Just wanted to let you know the post is beautiful. The poem by Thomas Hood made me remember my own Mother's death. And, of course, the post caused me to pause and pray for Angie, not even knowing who she is.
Stay close to Christ!